Business clients and institutions

Here you can find an overview of various types of waste that may be generated in your company or institution, and all the necessary information about how to collect the waste by types and how to get rid of it properly. Our message is that it’s useful to collect and sort waste by types, so as to reduce the load on the environment and to save money, because the volume of mixed common waste will decrease.

For more information and placing orders, please contact our customer service by telephone: 6164000 or by e-mail:

 Waste management in the administrative territory of Tallinn is regulated by Tallinn Waste Management Regulations:

Business clients and institutions shall own or rent a sufficient amount of waste containers complying with Tallinn Waste Management Regulations, for collecting mixed common waste and recoverable waste collected by types, or use relevant collective containers. A collective container can be used with consent of the Environmental Department of Tallinn City Government and only for collecting waste generated from adjacent immovable properties or from apartment buildings and semi-detached houses with a common courtyard area. The containers and the collection areas must comply with the Regulations and a collective container usage agreement must be entered into ( Waste containers can be placed on city-owned land only with the City Government’s consent and under the City Government’s conditions.

 Upon buying or renting waste containers, we recommend ensuring that the container complies with the standard EVS-EN 840. You can view container sizes on our webpage “CUSTOMER SUPPORT”, section “Waste containers”: Containers should preferably be produced inEurope and be suitable for our climate – we commend OTTO, ESE and SULO containers as the best choices. The most suitable container format is a plastic container on wheels. Waste can also be collected into recessed containers and press containers (waste compressors).

 Mixed common waste (trash) is common waste remaining after collecting or sorting by types. Handover of mixed common waste takes place at the location of generating it, on the immovable property.

 Catering enterprises must collect food oil and food fat separately, pursuant to Tallinn Waste Management Regulations and other legislation. Upon request, the catering enterprise must submit the relevant reports to the Environmental Department of Tallinn City Government.

 Animal product waste (category III material is former animal product food or former food containing animal products, not intended for human food anymore due to commercial reasons, production problems, package defects or other defects and not being hazardous to humans or animals) must be collected separately in stores. Animal product waste must be registered by kilograms in the store and handed over with a waybill to a waste carrier who must be certified by the Veterinary and Food Board. Generally, category III animal product waste is transported together with kitchen and catering waste because they are handled together in processing facilities having the relevant permit.

 Paper and carton waste must be collected by types. A paper and carton waste container can be emptied as needed to avoid overfilling it, so we recommend using at least 600-litre containers. This way we can reduce environmental load, i.e. our waste trucks don’t have to drive to your address for small waste amounts.

 Documents must be destroyed pursuant to level 3 requirements of the international confidential data media secrecy standard DIN 327537. The documents must be broken up and then directed into paper recovery. The relevant protocol must be prepared upon handover of the documents for destruction; after the destruction, another protocol must be prepared, stating the date and place of destroying the documents and the person who performed the destruction.

 A packaging undertaking is a person who packages goods or imports or sells packaged goods in the course of its economic activity. A packaging undertaking must guarantee the collection and recovery of the packaging of goods packaged or imported by them as well as the packaging waste resulting therefrom, to the extent characterised by the target recovery indicators set out in § 36 of the Packaging Act, and shall bear the costs related thereto. A packaging undertaking may transfer the collection of packages and package waste to a producer’s liability organisation.

 Kitchen and catering waste must be collected by types if more than 20 kg of such waste is generated per week or if a catering enterprise with at least 25 seats, incl. a restaurant or similar enterprise offering catering services, or a nursery school, a school or a hospital with at least 112 beds is located on the property. We recommend using bio-decomposing lining bags in the containers, to keep the containers themselves clean: If you use ordinary clear plastic bags for collecting kitchen and catering waste, do not throw them into the container with the waste if possible. Instead, empty the plastic bag into the container and then put the plastic bag itself into common waste. Read more about collecting waste by types on our webpage “ABC OF WASTE”, section “Collecting bio-waste by types”:

Garden and greenery waste is bio-decomposing waste generated by maintaining gardens and green areas (leaves, waste plant matter, grass, moss, small branches, apples, etc.). It is forbidden to place garden and greenery waste into containers for mixed common waste or for kitchen and catering waste. Garden and greenery waste can be handed over at the location of generating it, on the immovable property, by ordering a leaves bag removal service by telephone: 6164000 or by e-mail:

 Large waste is waste that cannot be placed into a container due to its weight or volume, like furniture, carpets, mattresses, curtain rods, window frames, sinks, Christmas trees, etc.; these are placed beside the container for removal. Large waste is also generated by business clients and institutions, e.g. office furniture, carpets, curtain rods, Christmas trees, etc. Large waste is not considered to include construction waste, large products of concern like car wrecks, electrical or electronic equipment or waste electrical or electronic equipment (including washing machines, TV sets, refrigerators, electrical cookers) and other waste subject to producer’s liability. Large waste must be handed over at the location of generating it, on the immovable property. Large waste must be removed within 7 calendar days after they have been put beside the container. Christmas trees can be handed over at the location of generating the waste, on the immovable property, by ordering a separate Christmas tree removal service by telephone: 6164000 or by e-mail: Read more about large waste on our webpage “ABC OF WASTE”, section “Collecting large waste by types”.

 Hazardous waste must be collected by types. It is definitely prohibited to put such waste into a mixed common waste container. A hazardous waste container must be closed and guarded. A legal person and a natural person shall hand over their hazardous wastes to a person having the Environmental Department’s permit for collecting and transporting hazardous waste and a license for handling hazardous waste.